The 1915 Panama-California Exposition held in Balboa Park introduced Spanish Colonial Revival architecture to Southern California and to millions of visitors. The California Building and its tower, the Spreckels Organ Pavilion, and the “temporary” buildings along El Prado have stirred the souls of San Diegans for over 90 years.
During the 1960s two wonderful buildings on the Plaza de Panama were demolished. The Science and Education Building was replaced by the modern west wing of the San Diego Museum of Art; the Home Economy Building was replaced by the Timken Museum building. Four other “temporary” buildings on El Prado were destined to meet the same fate.
A group of determined people stepped up and brought a halt to the destruction. Since its formation in 1967, The Committee of One Hundred has been a strong advocate for these buildings, raising funds and public support for the bonds that financed reconstruction of the remaining temporary buildings, which have now been rebuilt along with the two missing arcades.
Your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. We are a 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
The Committee of One HundredRoger Showley email@example.com
1649 El Prado, Suite 2
San Diego, CA 92101